Service Dog Training
Looking to improve your life and your relationship with your dog? We can help you achieve your goals.
Service Dog Training Program
The right service dog can improve your life by providing freedom, choices, options, and a new perspective.
Whether you have already a special dog in your life, or are looking for a new assistance dog, we can help you on the way. A service dog in your life can make things a little easier.
- Help you get you out of bed in the morning
- Remind you to make medicine on time
- Provide a buffer in an uncomfortable situation.
- Physical tasks such as retrieving dropped items and turning on light
- Provide comfort in the form of deep pressure therapy or the relief in knowing you are not alone.
- Sense and intervene to alleviate anxiety/depression/dissasociation
RubyDog Training will teach your dog how to communicate that support when needed, and to teach you to communicate your support to your dog as well. This is a relationship built on mutual respect and trust and like any relationship develops over time.
It all starts with a custom consultation…
Get in touch to schedule your custom consult today!
While we’re happy to answer general questions via email or phone, our initial consult dives much deeper.
The initial consultation allows us to get to know each other, discuss your short term and long-term training goals, and work through any questions you may have about training methods. We will create a tailored training plan and give you some training and management tips to help right away. We will then set up a lesson package to move forward.
Initial Consultations are held virtually.
Virtual Consults cost $175
Don't have a dog yet?
We can help you find your dog!
If you are planning to bring a service dog into your life as part of your treatment plan, RubyDog Training can help find a candidate that matches your lifestyle and needs. Consultation is adjustable to your specific situation and may include breeder, rescue or shelter recommendations, phone calls or email correspondence with breeders or shelter staff, or temperament assessments of prospective dogs.
Service Dog Lessons
Coaching for people with disabilities to train their own service dog.
Each team is individual and each training plan is customized to meet your and your dog’s unique needs.
Get in touch to start training your dog and bring out the best in each other.
Can the dog I have now be my service dog?
We will start with an evaluation to see what your goals are and how a dog can factor into your treatment plan. We will then conduct an evaluation of your dog through a series of questions and exercises to determine if they are a good fit. Many amazing dogs are not cut out for the demands of a working service dog. It is important your dog is not only able to meet the physical demands, and able to remain calm but that it’s a job your dog wants to and is able to do without stress.
Keep in mind that even if your dog isn’t a candidate for a service dog, they are still able to provide comfort, relief and be trained to provide services and tasks to help at home and places pets are allowed.
Will you help me find a service dog candidate?
Yes. We will meet for an evaluation to determine what kind of dog will be the best match for your lifestyle and the tasks you require. You will have support during the dog or puppy search, including interview breeders or shelters, which might include dog visits and temperament evaluations.
Starting with a puppy: Each dog is an individual, and a puppy is not a blank slate. There are many factors that come together to form your adult dogs personality. In much the same way there is no guarantee that the daughter of two lawyers will be the next law school protégé, there is no guarantee that your puppy will make a future service dog regardless of their lineage. There are elements we can look for and nurture in a puppy that can improve the odds of your puppy growing up to be a good candidate for a service dog, but it is a risk. A dog needs to have reached social maturity before we will know if they are a viable service dog candidate. Keep in mind the bond you have with your puppy can be healing in itself and your puppy will still be able to learn tasks to improve your quality of life at home and where pets are allowed.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch to schedule your initial service dog consult today!
What do you need from me to get started training my own service dog?
- A letter of confirmation and support from your licensed healthcare provider. In addition to giving a diagnosis, the letter must also affirm that your condition is disabling as defined by the ADA.
- Commitment to participating in consistently scheduled training lessons, and the ability to train between lessons. Each team is unique in personality and situations therefore each team is ready in their own time at their own pace. Most teams train constantly for an average of 2 years. After which regular training is required to maintain the behaviors you’ve taught.
- Your word that you will wait until your dog has developed reliable foundation skills and has been evaluated to have the temperament required to pursue Service Dog training before putting service dog identification on your dog.
What certifications does my dog need to be a service dog?
In the United States, there is no legal certification/ registry or evaluation required to certify your dog as a service dog, but there is a level of behavioral standards that must be met. The only way to turn your dog into a service dog is through training, and responsibly ensuring they are capable of safely navigating the world as a working dog.
Beware any website or organization that requires a fee to “certify” or “register” your dog as a service dog in the United States, as this certification and registry is not recognized.
Your dog is legally a service dog when:
- He/she has impeccable manners and responds reliably to obedience cues
- Can reliably complete tasks that assist your disabilities
- Is leashed and under your compete control
- Is quiet and unobtrusive
Need more help?
Try Our Maintenance Training Subscription!
Protect your hard work and keep things running smoothly. Schedule a monthly tune up once you are in a good place so you can keep it that way!